Blue Carbon NAMA Conserve and Restore Mangroves in the Dominican Republic
|Focus area|| |
|Type of action||Strategy/Policy|
|Submitted to UNFCCC registry||Yes|
|Start of initiative||2015|
|Financing and support details|
|Financing status||Not known|
|Total cost||US$ 1.5 mln|
|Financing requested|| |
|Financing received to-date|| |
|Principal source of financing||Not known|
|Principal type of financing||Not known|
|Capacity building required||Yes|
|Technology transfer required||Unknown|
|Proponent(s)||National Council for Climate Change and Clean Development Mechanism|
|International funder(s)|| |
|Organization providing technical support||Counterpart International|
|Contact||Omar Ramirez, Executive Vice President, firstname.lastname@example.org|
Enable the Dominican Republic to sequester and store substantial blue carbon through the conservation and restoration of mangroves, thus diminishing greenhouse gases from entering the atmosphere. The path to achieving this result through this NAMA includes enhancing and focusing the national level policy environment through collective understanding and commitment to the NAMA; the application of sound science in quantifying the country’s current and potential carbon sequestering and storage capacity; analysis and pursuit of potential carbon credit income for the Dominican Republic; and a participatory role for the private sector and communities around the country to actively support conservation and restoration efforts.
Activities: (2015 - 2017)
Support for the Preparation of this NAMA will result in a robust design, encompassing
- technical assistance
- planning for financial mechanisms for long-term financing and sustainability
- sound scientific research, and wide-ranging participation.
Specifically, the preparation will contribute to the conservation and restoration of mangroves in the following ways:
- Quantify the carbon sink capacity of Mangroves in the Dominican Republic through a comprehensive inventory and analysis of ecological conditions and carbon stocks that are intact, under threat, or notably degraded.
- The quantified carbon sink capacity will contribute to generating emission allowances, emission credits, and other types of CO2 compensation certificates.
- Build national and local institutional capacity to assess the CO2 sequester capacity of mangroves in the Dominican Republic
- Facilitate national dialogue on how to leverage carbon credits to promote greater competitiveness for small and medium-sized businesses through policies and financial mechanisms that help SMEs in the agriculture, fishing and tourism sectors build climate resilience into assets and operations.
- Develop national strategies to restore and reforest mangrove systems around the Dominican Republic that also engage communities through partnerships that articulate economic incentives for mangrove ecosystem conservation and reforestation with improved livelihoods.
- Establish a Blue Carbon NAMA Knowledge Toolkit that facilitates knowledge transfer to other organizations in Latin America, the Caribbean and outside the region that are facing similar development challenges. The toolkit will enable public and private sector leaders to.
- Apply an emerging field of tools, products and services that cater to the coastal ecosystem financing and management in order to design a Blue Carbon NAMA.
- 'Identify transformational change; co-benefits; financial ambitions; and GHG mitigation.
- Design technical and financial components that can reduce GHG emissions (direct reductions), increase the volume of public finance mobilized for low carbon investment and development, increase the volume of private finance mobilized for low carbon investment and development, target the number of people directly benefitting from the NAMA Support Project (NSP), and support activities to catalyse impact beyond the project.
Impact and MRV
|Cumulative GHG reductions: No data available|
No information has been provided on mitigative capacity
|Social:|| Information has not been provided
|Economic:|| Information has not been provided
|Environmental:|| Information has not been provided
No MRV plan has been defined